Drinkaware, the alcohol education charity, faced a gap in its support services when an untimely mix of staff departure and long-term sickness left its communications and media team exposed.
Having worked together in the past, the Chief Executive contacted Kate Hempsall PR & Communications to discuss interim support and occasional back up for the charity when required.
Kate Hempsall was able to provide interim management of the press office for an initial period of three months covering all aspects of media liaison, implementation of communication strategy, appointment and management of support staff.
It was important to quickly grasp the key priorities, messages and operation of the charity, ensuring that all stakeholders were consulted and informed and media communication was accordant with strict research and health guidelines.
Following the phased return of the media team, Kate continued to provide support to Drinkaware through a challenging, and often controversial, launch of the Drink Free Days campaign in conjunction with Public Health England, working occasional shifts with the media team and managing special projects such as celebrity radio days. She also provided strategy planning and internal communication development expertise, later returning for a further period of press office management during a change in personnel in Spring 2019 and planning for the launch of an annual impact report.
- Progressed key messages and lines to take document
- Contributed to campaign activations that yielded:
- 321 pieces of coverage
- 3.8million print circulation
- 23million broadcast views
- 39.2million radio listeners
- Part of the media team that dealt with response to health lobby reaction to Drink Free Days campaign, working in association with Public Health England
- Developed series of internal and external message house platforms
- Managed general running of press office
- Maintained close working relationship with members of the Medical Advisory Panel to ensure the accuracy and integrity of information released
- Interviewed, recruited and managed interim support staff