Less of a challenge and more an absolute delight! Timothy Taylor’s is one of the UK’s oldest family-owned breweries with over 160 years’ heritage of brewing award-winning ales, with their Landlord winning more awards than any other beer. Established in 1858, the Keighley brewery had initially brewed Hopical Storm, a triple-hopped sessionable pale ale, as a cask ale, then as its first keg beer and was preparing to launch it in can. Building on its enviable reputation for quality and delicious beers, Timothy Taylor’s wanted to raise awareness and drive sales of its first ever can through an integrated marketing and PR campaign.
A six month campaign was developed to support and augment the marketing plan which included event sponsorship, print and digital advertising. Having identified key messages for the brand, the brewery and the innovation the next step was to identify and segment target audience groups and the media that would help connect with them. This enabled us to develop a suite of bespoke communication content that provided relevant and compelling stories for each news outlet.
A phased sampling programme with journalists and influencers helped to maintain a steady flow of tasting reviews and news reports, ensuring the launch coverage didn’t peak and finish within a couple of days. Having established the new packaging format, contributions were then made to ongoing feature briefs to demonstrate informed opinion and a longevity for brand development.
With both the beer and the can generating powerful proactive and reactive coverage, we identified a series of awards to enter and created a secondary PR and promotional plan for a second wave of activity in the Spring.
All KPI’s were exceeded and the success of the campaign helped to deliver extended coverage of other Timothy Taylor activity in the local community and for other brewery initiatives. Where some disapproval might have been anticipated from passionate fans of cask ale and brewing tradition, the crafting of the story helped ensure this did not materialise.
- Over 50 pieces of coverage across trade, consumer and social media
- Coverage encompassed digital, print, magazine and six broadcast reviews
- Minimum reach/opportunity to see of 4,446,660
- Minimum campaign ROI of 486%
- 100% positive or neutral coverage
- Over a quarter (27%) of coverage included backlinks, enabling readers to search for further information or stockist details quickly and easily
- Hopical Storm received a silver medal in the International Beer Challenge 2023
- Hopical Storm was named World’s Best Can Design at the World Beer Awards 2023 and also received a design and packaging gold medal at the International Beer Challenge 2023
Hopical Storm cans are available from major grocery stores, including Sainsbury’s, Waitrose and Morrisons, or online at Timothy Taylor’s Beer Shop but for further information please visit Hopical Storm – Timothy Taylor’s and feel free to contact Kate if you would like to discuss your PR opportunities.